Timbre of a TimeFree Mind

Kevin and Darren live in Portland Oregon and are a gay, committed couple. We believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all...regardless of sexual orientation, gender, race, nationality, financial status, and being. Erase man-made borders and "they" become "we". New Site: HERE.

Tuesday, November 9

 

My thoughts................

I haven't talked a lot about the election of this past week. I guess you could say that I have been speechless. But to be honest, I have talked with Darren and a few folks here at work, but not a whole lot. I see many folks happy with the outcome of particular measures that passed in 11 states , but I cannot share in this experience because this has affected me personally in a way that feels somewhat hurtful. This is not a case of sour grapes...I lived through the entire Reagan Administration unscathed and somewhat silent. Not too many of my gay brothers did.

I hear a lot of people saying that gay marriage is too much to ask for too soon. I have given this consideration and I wonder why this is so prevalent in their afterthoughts of the election? Too much too soon? Many of the Democrats didn't want to jump on this bandwagon as it hurt their chances for being elected. Well I guess this issue hurt a lot of folks. Perhaps gay marriage is something to be decided in the far off future but I don't believe that writing additional comments in the Constitution is necessarily the way to go. To my mind that piece of paper "adds" to our lives, it not supposed to "take away".

This country is divided almost equally about gay folks being together if I can believe what I am told. My opinion is this: either you are comfortable and okay with gay people sharing and expressing their lives together or you are not. There is no middle ground. I do not believe that I can be in a partial relationship with my partner, Darren. (Is it ok to be in the same house together as long as you don't make anyone "think" of two men having sex?) I am in a relationship with him and we just happen to both be men and our lives combine- sexuality (which is something we choose to share privately and together), spirituality, our work, our pets, our family/friends, our finances. We share our chores, our laughter, and each others' shoulders when need be.

I guess a line has been drawn in the sand and the question(s) are: Do YOU believe that two consenting adult (non-blood) related human beings can legally be connected for purposes of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Is my relationship any different than my parents, siblings or my neighbors, YOURS? Darren and I pay our taxes much the same way that straight couples do and we are citizens just the same. We don't necessarily worship the Big Guy in the Sky like many others do. Is that the disqualifier for marriage/civil union? Additionally I respect and applaud the rights of couples to NOT participate in matrimony the way that it is practiced here in the USA. If it helps you keep more money in your household or is because of something else that matters to YOU, then by all means you have my blessings even when my blessings aren't part of the deal.

I am never going to deny my relationship and I am never going to hide. I am never going to act as if I am something different than God made me. I did that- 25 years ago and I will never allow myself to be that miserable again. Darren tells me that God doesn't waste anything. And I will add this, She doesn't make any mistakes either.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?